Monday, May 08, 2006

Using Christianity as a Political Tool

I agree with Andrew Sullivan in that I am very tired of my faith in Jesus Christ being used by some as a barometer of my political beliefs. There was a time in America's history when one's religious belief did not matter in regards to one's political beliefs. That changed in the 50s with modern conservatism. It is divisive, and therefore not of God, ironically. The Savior has said, "I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine." Divisive politics have no place in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. So why are right-wing Christians so divisive? I remind again what President Gordon B. Hinckley said:

Why do any of us have to be so mean and unkind to others? Why can't all of us reach out in friendship to everyone about us? Why is there so much bitterness and animosity? It is not a part of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
We can disagree politically. We can even criticize political leaders. But we cannot use another person's religious or political beliefs against them for political points. It is not a part of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home