Wednesday, May 10, 2006

What I Would Have Done Post-9/11: Intro

It has been argued that Democrats did not have a vision about what to do with the change that came with 9/11. This argument was made by Republicans who were in power, who controlled the government, who were supposed to lead; an argument made against the minority party, the party not in charge of the government. It is a rather weak charge to make by those who were forcing the issues and claiming that any who did not agree with their views were somehow anti-American or helping terrorists.

"To those who pit Americans against immigrants, citizens against non-citizens, to those who scare peace-loving people with phantoms of lost liberty, my message is this: Your tactics only aid terrorists for they erode our national unity and diminish our resolve," Ashcroft told the Senate Judiciary Committee. "They give ammunition to America's enemies and pause to America's friends. They encourage people of good will to remain silent in the face of evil.
So what I am going to do is do a several part section on what I would have done after 9/11 if I were an adviser to the president. I'm even going to show what I would have recommended were Gore to have been president (he really was, but thanks to the Supreme Court--unelected officials--Bush was placed as president---but this is for another discussion). I will also give my recommendations for what to do now, today, based on Bush's choices with, 1. Bush still in power and in the current situation he is in, and 2. if a Democrat were suddenly in power right now and had to fix the mess. I will also give my thoughts on what vision Democrats should give Americans as a counter-vision to the failed Republican visions. After all, Rove's strategy for November is not policy driven, but rather a scare tactic. There are other, better, visions than those of neo-conservatives. I'm glad to see Fukuyama (one of the founders of modern neo-conservatism) seeing the light. So hang on to your hats. RHMD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home