Monday, June 05, 2006

More Thoughts on the Issue of Slavery and the American Civil War

on Vox Day's blog we've been discussing the Civil War, and I brought up a point that I wanted to discuss a bit further here: I believe very strongly that no other issue would have torn the South away from the Union like that of slavery. There is no other issue they talk about but slavery. True, Mr. Vox's point is correct, the Southern states felt it was the right of individual states to make that decision regarding slavery. Where the Southern states were mistaken in their beliefs and actions is that, if you amend the Constitution, are not all states subject to that amendment? They felt that if they did not like new amendments to the Constitution regarding slavery (and no other issue), they could just easily walk away from the new nation. Well, they were going expressly against the wishes and desires of George Washington who emphasized patriotism of the nation over patriotism of the state. But the South, caring too much about slavery felt it was the line they could never cross, and only force would make them listen. Sometimes force is needed to remind certain people of the bigger picture, and that sometimes sacrifices need to be made on the part for the whole. The South never were fully converted to the idea of the Nation. They did not understand the significance of a nation like America. It took a brave man, who ended up assassinated, to bring them back into the fold. And like the Israelites of old, who during their 40 year journey through the wilderness, they sometimes had to be forced to realize the importance of the whole.

4 Comments:

At 6/05/2006 07:28:00 PM, Blogger DannyHSDad said...

I guess we can remain to be in disagreeing positions.

Even though I have lived in Texas only 11 years [and for another month or so], I'm open to what both sides have to say and pro-South made a lot of sense to me, esp. in terms of rights and freedoms and Lincoln was more interested in keeping the tax base [more than being anti-slave]. I was skeptical myself at first but the more I read the quotes and writings of Lincoln, the more I've come to agree with the Southrons.

Your mileage may vary, of course :-)

 
At 6/05/2006 08:28:00 PM, Blogger nicolaepadigone said...

i don't know. The South was too focused on keeping slavery when the rest of the world around them was moving forward. In looking backwards in time, it would seem to be more about state rights, but in the end it was about who had the final say on one issue only, slavery.

 
At 6/06/2006 08:35:00 AM, Blogger DannyHSDad said...

For me, the one quote that changed my mind was Lincoln's own words:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union." ~ Letter to Horace Greeley, Editor of the New York Tribune, August 22 1862.

Also, if History Place's Civil War Timeline
is accurate, it seems that emancipation was revoked once (OK, in one state) and then "reinstated" by Lincoln. And the "official" emancipation was made almost 2 years after the war started, not before.

And if Wikipedia's Lincoln on Slavery is any accurate, Lincoln was no friend of the blacks, slave or free.

Also, articles like:
"DiLorenzo Is Right About Lincoln" and
"Lincoln’s 'Second American Revolution'"
along with others found at:
"King Lincoln Archive" have slowly changed my mind.

 
At 6/06/2006 09:07:00 AM, Blogger nicolaepadigone said...

yeah, i have no doubt that Lincoln's main concern was the Union and not slavery. there are still two problems that i have.

1. The South said so. Their own words talk about the issue of slavery.

2. Pre-Civil War, there were slaves. Post-Civil War, slaves were freed (though not immediately). If there was no Civil War, would the slaves have eventually been freed?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home