Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Mormon Scholars Are Winning the Battle

I stumbled upon this article in looking for a reference to a blog post I am working on. The article is called "Mormon Apologetic Scholarship and Evangelical Neglect: Losing the Battle and Not Knowing It?" Wow. I've never felt so good reading a piece of work by an Evangelical scholar. I'm not a biblical scholar by any stretch of the imagination, so I am not familiar at all with many of the works that Mr. Mosser and Mr. Owen bring up in their article chastizing their fellow Evangelicals for their pitiful efforts at countering the increasingly professional and scholarly Mormon studies of the Bible and ancient times and scriptures. I personally do not need the verification of history to prove my testimony and my belief in this church is true, but it sure helps. My life has changed drastically for the better since I joined the church 19 years ago. And that is the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It changes people's lives for the better. It improves on a person's own abilities, expands their faculties, enhances their talents, brightens their lives, and brings them closer to the light. It is truly a wonder. I sometimes wish I should have dived into that field of battle, the scholarly research, but I think I would have entered in for the wrong reasons, trying to prove others wrong, rather than trying to find the truth. Besides, the esoteric world of scholarly research only reaches so many people before losing people's interest. Start using words like pseudepigrapha on some and you get a "huh?" reply. I'm more fascinated talking about the ordinary and simple things. I believe with Alma, who said the following (Alma 37:6-7):

6 Now ye may suppose that this is foolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by small and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise. 7 And the Lord God doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very small means the Lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.
Simply seeing the actual evidence does not convert a soul. The Jews had their Lord and their God right in front of their eyes, yet how many never gave Him more than one look? How many in fact, conspired to murder Him? The true conversion comes in the heart, and it comes by the Holy Ghost. In any case, I am glad to see Mormon scholars finally being respected, and apparently feared. Great going guys!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home