Thursday, June 08, 2006

Nicholas Berg's Father on Peace vs Revenge

well said Mr. Berg, well said. O'Brien didn't know how to take his answer, not being the traditoinal "I'm glad he's dead", "burn in hell you bastard," answer, but rather saying that he had already forgiven Zarqawi for murdering his son. It makes one feel good to see that this world is not yet filled with only violence and hatred, that there are still people in this world who look for peace and forgiveness.

O'BRIEN: Mr. Berg, thank you for talking with us again. It's nice to have an opportunity to talk to you. Of course, I'm curious to know your reaction, as it is now confirmed that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the man who is widely credited and blamed for killing your son, Nicholas, is dead. MICHAEL BERG: Well, my reaction is I'm sorry whenever any human being dies. Zarqawi is a human being. He has a family who are reacting just as my family reacted when Nick was killed, and I feel bad for that. (Watch video of the two bombs falling on al-Zarqawi -- 2:00) I feel doubly bad, though, because Zarqawi is also a political figure, and his death will re-ignite yet another wave of revenge, and revenge is something that I do not follow, that I do want ask for, that I do not wish for against anybody. And it can't end the cycle. As long as people use violence to combat violence, we will always have violence. O'BRIEN: I have to say, sir, I'm surprised. I know how devastated you and your family were, frankly, when Nick was killed in such a horrible, and brutal and public way. BERG: Well, you shouldn't be surprised, because I have never indicated anything but forgiveness and peace in any interview on the air. O'BRIEN: No, no. And we have spoken before, and I'm well aware of that. But at some point, one would think, is there a moment when you say, 'I'm glad he's dead, the man who killed my son'? BERG: No. How can a human being be glad that another human being is dead?
I am reminded yet again of the real profoundness of President Hinckley's talk this past General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on the Need for Greater Kindness. I quote again what he said:
I have wondered why there is so much hatred in the world. We are involved in terrible wars with lives lost and many crippling wounds. ....... Now I indicated earlier that I did not know why there was so much conflict and hatred and bitterness in the world. Of course, I know that all of this is the work of the adversary. He works on us as individuals. He destroys strong men. ....... Why do any of us have to be so mean and unkind to others? Why can't all of us reach out in friendship to everyone about us? Why is there so much bitterness and animosity? It is not a part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. ....... This sinful old world so much needs men of strength, men of virtue, men of faith and righteousness, men willing to forgive and forget.

2 Comments:

At 6/09/2006 12:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

think I like your stance.
no, I know I like your comments.

 
At 6/09/2006 07:31:00 AM, Blogger nicolaepadigone said...

thanks. My thinking is simple. If you believe in peace, then talk of peace; let us see peace in your actions. If you talk of peace, but your actions and beliefs are actually far from it, are you not hypocritical?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home