Friday, July 07, 2006

Goodbye Political Moderates!...and don't let the door hit you on your way out!

I'm liberal on many issues, and conservative on some issues and libertarian on others. What does that make me? none of the groups mentioned want someone like me. I noticed this with liberals on the DailyKos, which surprised me. Now, a tiff between Sullivan and Punuru shows that conservatives feel the same way. This hardening of positions, of sides, is not good for America. It will destroy America. Liberals are grabbing hold of the Democratic party just like conservatives have done with the Republican party. Do you think you can find any "Bush Democrats" like you once were able to find "Reagan Democrats?" Any voting by Democrats on something that benefits Bush gets bashed, while on the other side, how often has a Republican supported Democratic policies?

Instead, for political points, we've reduced our two ruling parties to snivling polemic hurlers, wasting precious lawmaking time with divisive election-year gambits while our enemies foment around us. Bin Laden is still alive and threatening us. What is our government doing worrying about flag-burning (only four flags were burned this year from a source I saw).

2 Comments:

At 7/08/2006 04:51:00 AM, Blogger Trude said...

I gotta say Dan, I have always been bemused at how determined many are in your country put so much effort to work against each other and to make sure all and sundry see a difference (even if it is on the surface), than to admit differences, but for the betterment of the country and people, work together with each other ..

hope that makes sense

 
At 7/08/2006 07:42:00 AM, Blogger nicolaepadigone said...

makes perfect sense to me. :)

I quoted John Adams earlier here on my blog, but I'll quote him again:

“There is nothing I dread so much as a division of the Republic into tow great parties, each arranged under its leader and converting measures in opposition to each other.” Yet this was exactly what had happened. The “turbulent maneuvers” of factions, he now wrote privately, could “tie the hands and destroy the influence” of every honest man with a desire to serve the public good. There was “division of sentiments over everything,” he told his son-in-law William Smith. “How few aim at the good of the whole, without aiming too much at the prosperity of the parts!” (pg. 422)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home